Author: Daniel McDowell
Flower arrangements can take the form of bouquets, centerpieces, or wreaths according to the occasion. The distinctiveness of the flower arrangement depends on the type of flowers used – apart from fresh flowers; there can be artificial flowers like silk flowers, custom silk flowers, dried flowers, candy flowers, edible flowers used in the floral arrangement.
During the 18th century the Italians were the pioneer in the artificial flower arrangement followed by the French. Today it is popular in England and America alike. The primary requirement for the artificial flower arrangements are- wire frames, ground clay, nylon netting, carved or shaped soap paper, painted linen, small shells and silkworm cocoons.
Some of the methods for preparing artificial flower arrangements are:
· Clay flower arrangements – Here ground clay is made into a paste by adding water. Colors are then applied to this modeling paste, which is shaped into flowers by a skilled craftsman.
· Soap flower arrangements – In this method a bar with layered colored soap is amassed on a lathe to produce a circular groove. This floral arrangement is symmetric and regular.
· Cloth and paper flower arrangement – Here different fabrics and materials are given the shape of leaves and flowers. Next with the help of a dye, the veins of the leaves are impressed on the arrangement. They are then assembled on a brass or iron stalk.
The convenience of dried flower arrangement is that they can be altered according to one's choice. A bit of concern is required while choosing the color, texture and shape of the flowers. To enhance the beauty of a dried flower arrangement the container and the color of the room should be kept in mind.
The most common options for dried flower arrangements are:
1. Floral tree – an entire tree of dried flowers can be designed complete with real branches and a cone shaped piece of dry foam for the top. The container is filled with plaster of Paris and the tree trunk can be covered with moss. The arrangement is complete with different kinds of dried flowers and leaves.
2. Basic dried flower arrangement – the design is primarily given shape with say, lavender or straw on the foam inside the container. Then flowers like coxcomb and hydrangeas are inserted interspersed with dried roses or straw flowers.
Fake flower arrangements primarily constitute of silk flower arrangements.
The motive is to make the artificial flower arrangement as realistic as possible. Silk flower arrangement has become hugely popular for being durable and cost-effective. There are custom silk flower arrangement that can be designed and altered according to the changing choice, mood and decor. Things that should be kept in mind for making a silk flower arrangement are:
- The base should be strong enough to bear the weight. Clay should be used instead of foam.
- The wires of the silk flower stems should be easy to bend. A good wire cutter is needed.
- Glue should be sprayed on top of the base and then covered slowly with moss.
- Big flowers should always be inserted at the focal area. The stems of the flowers should be long enough for easy insertion. Small flowers should be kept in place with a glue-gun.
With good floral design ideas silk flower arrangement can be rewarding in many ways.
The edible flower arrangement is done for wedding and party cakes. Flowers are so selected that they are edible. A candy flower arrangement is a confectionary product which is also pleasing to the eyes. For example a strawberry rose has its stalk portion made of bark-colored chocolate with a sprig of candied leaves. The head includes a strawberry encased within a candied mould.
About the Author
I am a grandfather of 6 and married to my soul mate Lukina.
We live in the big state of TEXAS enjoying boating, arts and music.